Whether you’re towing a light-weight travel trailer, driving a motorhome and towing a second vehicle, or hauling a toy hauler fifth wheel, knowing your towing capacity is vital. We’ll show you these easy RV tips for understanding how much you can tow. Towing within your vehicle’s recommended capacity helps extend your vehicle’s life and prevent accidents or damage to your RV.
Before we can go over the basics of towing, we’ll need to look at a few terms that you should be familiar with.
- Dry Weight/Shipped Weight – The weight of the RV as shipped from the manufacturer without any passengers, cargo, liquids, or additional accessories or dealer installed options.
- Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) – The current combined weight of the RV (dry weight) plus passengers, cargo, and liquids.
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) – The maximum allowed weight of a Vehicle/RV, including passengers, cargo, fluids, etc.
- Cargo Weight – The total weight of all passengers, food, clothing, liquids, accessories, etc., that you might put into your RV.
- Tongue/Hitch Weight – The weight/pressure applied from the trailer tongue/coupler to the conventional/bumper hitch on your vehicle.
- Pin Weight – This is often referred to as the weight/pressure applied from the fifth wheel kingpin to the hitch in the bed of your truck.
- Payload Capacity – For Trucks, the amount of weight you can safely add to the bed of the truck. Your Fifth Wheels Hitch Weight or Pin Weight plus the actual weight of hitch plus any other accessories you have in the truck’s bed must not exceed the Payload Capacity amount. Confirm Payload Capacity with your vehicle’s manufacturer.
- Max Towing Capacity – The maximum weight limit that can safely be towed by your specific vehicle. This weight is calculated by adding the RV’s GVW with the weight of all passengers, cargo, and liquids in your tow vehicle.
Find Your Towing Capacity
If you already have a towing vehicle or a motorhome, then you’ll want to learn its towing capacity. You can do this with our easy tow guide or a simple internet search. When you use our tool to find your towing capacity, you’ll only need your vehicle’s make, model, and year!
Find Your Dream RV
Lastly, you’ll need to find an RV that fits your towing capacity. At Youngblood RV, we are happy to help you find the perfect RV for your needs. Browse our new RVs for sale today, but keep in mind that due to the national demand, we are experiencing limited inventory. However, if a unit is not on our lot, we can walk through the features and floorplans with you to help you find the right RV.
Contact us today to order your new RV.